The way the Ratchet & Clank wiki capitalizes words has changed; therefore, this article should be checked, and, if necessary, capitalization should be fixed.
After Qwark put in the batteries backwards in Angela Cross's Helix-o-Morph, he mutated the original Protopet into a huge, bluish-black mutant, instead of making it harmless. In this incarnation it was referred to as the Mutant Protopet or the "King Protopet." It was even more vicious than before. The Mutant Protopet swallowed Qwark, and it was only after Ratchet and Clank defeated the monster that it spat the fraudulent hero back out. Finally, Angela Cross used the Helix-o-Morph, now with the batteries on correctly, to transform it back.
Defeating the Protopet
The Protopet is the final boss in Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando .There was an easy way to beat the Protopet when if Ratchet became close enough, he would be inside the beast, allowing him to shoot it from the inside. If he did this 3-5 times the beast would be defeated. Alternatively, he could dodge all its attacks, and empty the Meteor Gun at it, picking up the ammo crates. this would make its health rocket down, allowing you to beat it at the first time.
Its most common attack consisted of a charged rolling run. While it is doing this the Heavy Bouncer can be used as it will damage it through its shield. If ammo crates were not broken, they would be devoured. Ammo would then be regurgitated as missiles, bomblets, plasma balls, or even Synthenoids. Smaller Protopets may also spawn after the MegaCorp Security Bots join the battle.
On the third platform, a Tractor Beam target may appear. Hitting it against the beast will stun it. If it is not taken, it, like the ammo crates, will be used against you.
Another way is to get the Tankbot and Throw it on the floor next to the Mutated Protopet and shoot or use the magma bomb with the Tankbot. It is important that Ratchet has a distance because if the Mutated Protopet Steps on the tankbot it will explode.When you think Ratchet's inflicted enough damage, jump down and see. Remember Ratchet should not go by himself (unless he has a Ryno II or Zodiac) as the Mutated Protopet may squish Ratchet, stay up near the Vendor so you can buy more ammo.
Mutation Complete is a gold trophy in the high-definition re-release of Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando also available through Ratchet & Clank Collection. Defeat the Mutant Protopet to obtain this trophy.
- It is possible to weaken the beast without engaging it. Simply use long range weapons before using the swingshot target. Its health may not show, but the hits still count. Because a vendor is right beside you, it is possible to kill the beast this way.
- The RYNO II would end the fight in 5 to 10 seconds.
- After the fight, the list would come to say either to time warp back before the final boss or replay the game in Challenge Mode. However, it would say time warp back before the player defeated "Qwark" instead of the Mutant Protopet. This is probably because he made the protopet mutate in the first place.
- It is possible to show the Mutant Protopet's stats in the monsterpedia in the help menu. Simply time warp back before you defeated it.
- If you use the most devastating weapon in the game, the Zodiac, it will not kill it with one shot.
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal (mentioned and flashback)
- PlayStation Home (figurine)