The Zoni dimension
- "And remember, the universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."
- ―Orvus to Clank[src]
Orvus was the brightest Zoni, and presumably their leader. He was also the creator of the Great Clock, an enormous machine designed to maintain time and fix any dangerous time anomalies, as well as the creator of Clank, whom Orvus cared about very much.
The Great ClockEdit
Before the Great Clock was constructed, the Fongoids were given the gift of time travel by the Zoni. Through abuse of this gift, they created a small tear in the space-time continuum which destroyed 83 celestial entities. To prevent this from happening again, Orvus disallowed Fongoid use of time travel and had the Great Clock constructed to keep time in balance. Orvus claimed that using the clock improperly could rip the universe apart, and that under no circumstance should the Clock be used as a time machine.
Orvus eventually found Sigmund, a cleaner bot in planet Viceron. Orvus temporarily left the clock to recruit him as Junior Caretaker of the Great Clock. Sigmund accepted the offer and he and Orvus became great friends through the years, sometime during the years he also was possibly the Zoni who gave the Fulcrum Star to Captain Darkwater.[source?]
After thousands of years, Orvus would create Clank, his son, in the Great Clock. Orvus gave him a soul and a robotic body in a robot factory on planet Quartu. Orvus also installed a program of himself into Clank's subconscious, which could be accessed via a Mnemonic station. This program could train Clank to protect the Great Clock. Clank's mother realized that Clank would be able to stop Chairman Drek. However, Sentry-bots soon classified Clank as a production error and attempted destroy him, but Clank escaped to Veldin where he met his lifelong friend, Ratchet. Orvus later made a recruitment video for Clank with Sigmund, explaining why the Great Clock was made.
Tombli Outpost and DisappearanceEdit
- "This is your last chance, Orvus. How do I get into the chamber?!"
- —Dr. Nefarious interrogating Orvus[src]
Later, Dr. Nefarious requested a meeting with Orvus. Orvus accepted the offer, not knowing that Nefarious only wanted to know how to enter the Orvus Chamber as part of his latest plan. Orvus instructed Sigmund to keep the meeting a secret via a recorded message. Nefarious trapped Orvus in a transparent container and tried to force Orvus into revealing how to enter the chamber. While he did this, Pollyx scanned Orvus' memory for the information, but could find nothing. Orvus refused to give Nefarious the information, and pleaded with him, telling Nefarious that the Clock was not a time machine. Frustrated, Nefarious signaled for Orvus to be blasted with the Hypersonic Brainwave Scrambler. Despite already being weakened by Nefarious, Orvus managed to hold off the beam. Surprisingly strong, Orvus declared that only one could enter the chamber, and that he was safe from Nefarious. As soon as he had said this, he disappeared in a flash of light. However, Pollyx managed to capture a residual image from Orvus' data banks just as he dissipated—an image of Clank. With this clue, Nefarious set out to capture Clank.
- " The Clock, much like time itself, is a gift, and not to be tampered with. But like any father, my only wish is that my son does that which makes him feel whole. You are an intelligent and logical being, Clank, but intelligence and logic would have been wasted gifts without honor and loyalty. I am proud to see you came into those on your own. So, should The Clock be too small for your plans, I pray the cosmos light the way towards a future, you yourself design. And remember, the universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is, learning how to take a joke. Heheheheheh! "
- ―Orvus' final message to Clank.[src]
Orvus had made a final message to be played when Clank had entered the Orvus Chamber. Even though he wanted Clank to watch over the Clock in his place, Orvus said that his only wish was that Clank did what "made him feel whole." Clank chose to go with Ratchet in the end, realizing he couldn't leave his friend. Clank gave his job as Senior Caretaker to Sigmund instead and flew off into the stars with Ratchet in search of another adventure.
- One of Orvus' similarities to Clank was his laugh, which was almost exactly the same as his son's.
- The symbol on Orvus's head resembled the one on Alister Azimuth's armor.
- Orvus also had a golden statue of himself in the Temple of Zahn, probably because he gave the Zoni vessel to the Fongoids.
- It is unknown if Orvus is dead or not, as he has not been seen since his disappearance from Nefarious and Pollyx.
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Quest for Booty (indirectly mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (mentioned only)