Skid McMarx, also spelled Skidd McMarxx and Skidd McMarx, was a professional hoverboarder. He was a stereotypical skateboarder/surfer-dude, possessing a laid-back attitude and intelligence (or lack thereof) that matched this personality.
After joining the Q-Force he became part of the galactic fleet's black ops, with the codename "Shadow Dude".
Ratchet & Clank
Skid let Ratchet take his place in the HoverCon Intergalactic Hoverboard Competition because his ship crashed on Aridia. Skid needed Ratchet to kill the sandsharks so he can make it to his ship. When asked why he won't kill the sandsharks himself, Skid claimed to had "sprained his ankle," yet he can walk to his ship once the sandsharks were dead. He also had an agent of the same race, before he crash-landed.
Up Your Arsenal
Skidd was chosen for the Q-Force for his "nerves of steel," despite chickening out and letting Ratchet do the work in the original game. He volunteered to help Ratchet with his quick skills with the Hacker on Aquatos, where he requested that he is referred to by his code name "ShaddowDude." Skidd also notified the duo that "black-ops" are his specialty. When he helped the duo get to the room with Slim Cognito, he got scared and said that he forgot to feed his goldfish, then left. Later on in the game, he was kidnapped by Courtney Gears and taken to her home planet on Obani Draco. He was then used as a dummy to test the Bio-Bliterator, which turned him into a robot. How he was changed back from his robot state at the end of the game is not revealed, but earlier on Big Al had said that it may be possible to reverse the transformation. Skidd can be seen in the end cutscene, at the Secret Agent Clank premier, back to normal and sitting with his agent from the original Ratchet & Clank.
After a scandal surrounding Courtney Gears' connection with Nefarious, her record label dropped her and signed Skid McMarx and his spoken word poetry, causing Skid to become extremely popular and also causing Courtney Gears to harbor an extreme dislike for him.
Skid was a very skilled hoverboard racer, being a champion if the races in Blackwater City. However when he raced against Ratchet he and the other identical racers lost to the Lombax.
Skid was also skilled at using the Hacker, stating that black ops were his speciality.
However, Skid was easily scared and not a combatant, as shown by his fear of going near Sandsharks and needing Ratchet to wipe out them and other enemies before he would advance. Despite lacking combat skills, during his time as a member of the Q-Force he was given a bulky orange blaster. Skid was also unable to swim.
- Skid's full name is a wordplay on the expression "skid marks".
- According to the Ratchet & Clank 2010 Wall Calendar, Skid's birthday is March 15.
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Ratchet: Deadlocked (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (Re-imagined Skid)
Notes and references
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoL6UFejC-w&feature=channel_video_title 7:31, the credits of the original Ratchet and Clank, as opposed to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzvxzOKMz9U&feature=channel_video_title 5:03, the credits of Up Your Arsenal. It also spelled his name differently if your subtitles were on in both games.
- ↑ Insomniac Games news update (backup link at web archive)
- ↑ Ratchet & Clank 2010 Wall Calendar (ISBN: 0789319616)