- “ Coming soon to a Gadgetron vendor near you, the Suck Cannon is a prototype weapon that uses new quantum technology to suck up small enemies and convert them into explosive projectiles. ”
- ―Gadgetron description of Suck Cannon found on the instruction manual. [R&C]
The Suck Cannon was a Gadgetron weapon developed by the Blarg. It functioned like a deadly vacuum cleaner: It sucked up small enemies and crates using advanced vortex manipulator and quantum compression technology. The device then fired the small enemies back out as explosive projectiles at other enemies. It appeared in three Ratchet & Clank games: Ratchet & Clank, Up Your Arsenal, and Size Matters.
The Suck Cannon is a silvery weapon with a revolving vortex manipulator at the front, it acts as a vacuum by sucking in enemies and then shooting them out at other enemies. Only 5 enemies could be sucked in at a time, and once the vacuum trigger was released then the enemies inside the cannon would be shot out by the trigger (regardless of the amount of enemies inside the cannon). The weapon had no auto-targeting and only small enemies could fit into the basic quantum compression field.
Ratchet & Clank
Up Your Arsenal
It functioned identically to the Suck Cannon in Ratchet & Clank and Size Matters—it could suck up small enemies and use them as ammo, and its maximum ammo capacity was 5.
The Suck Cannon Size Matters and functioned identically to the Suck Cannon in the previous games.
The original prototype Suck Cannon was originally created by the Blarg and Gadgetron together. This prototype was unable to suck up crates and when it sucked up enemies and the player stopped pushing the circle button, then it couldn't suck up more enemies.
During the War against Nefarious and onwards, the commercialized Suck Cannon was released by Gadgetron. The final Suck Cannon product could be upgraded to the Vortex Cannon. Thanks to being superior to the prototype Crates can be sucked up and leave out their content for collection, and when the player chose another weapon, then choosing the Suck Cannon again and quickly pressing the circle button, it could suck up more enemies.
Behind the scenes
- In the original Ratchet & Clank (at least the Greatest Hits re-release) in the Weapons section of the pause menu, when the Suck Cannon is selected, unlike the other weapons and gadgets that are shown rotating slowly beneath Ratchet, the OmniWrench 8000 is shown.
- In the development of the original Ratchet and Clank game, the Suck Cannon had a different icon for when it has enemies inside it. This was later changed—likely due to technical llimications.
- Original series
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (Insomniac Museum Only)
|Weapons and gadgets in Ratchet & Clank|
|Weapons and gadgets in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal|