|Points of interest|
Veldin was a desert planet with a vast rocky terrain. It only had a few large bodies of water. Only one moon has been seen orbiting Veldin. It also had quite a few high tech buildings built into the features. Because of the heat of an arid desert planet, all the buildings are made of light metals and color. This would resist heat far better than a dark brown color and heavy protective metals. The main species of the planet is unknown, but it hosted a relatively small population. It was large enough that it became an important target for Dr.Nefarious in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal. In this game, it seemed Veldin was a bit more advanced as the buildings were more high-tech. Veldin was Ratchet's home, as he grew up there until he met Clank, where he still vowed to protect the planet with his life whenever it was threatened. However, in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, it is revealed that Veldin is neither Ratchet's birthplace nor homeworld.
Ratchet & ClankRatchet lived in his house, which was a garage, on Veldin until a small android nicknamed "Clank" by Ratchet crash-landed on the Kyzil Plateau. Ratchet then traveled across the plateau while fighting multiple enemies in order to find Clank. Ratchet found him and they set off on an adventure, leaving Veldin behind. Later on, the pair would find themselves back on Veldin as it occupied the perfect orbit for Chairman Drek's new planet. Drek intended to use his Deplanetizer to destroy Veldin. When Ratchet and Clank arrived at Kyzil Plateau, it was under attack by elite Blarg guards. Ratchet went along the same path he went on to find Clank and went on beyond the crash site. Eventually, they found Drek piloting his Ultimate Supreme Executive Chairman Drek-Mech and battled him. They eventually got to the top of Drek's Deplantizer where the button was pressed to destroy Veldin. Ratchet and Clank stopped the countdown and defeated Drek by making the Deplanetizer flip around, sending Drek to the artificial planet. They then destroyed Drek's planet and, consequently, destroying Drek. The two then went on to live in Ratchet's home and life settled down for them after Drek's defeat.
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet and Clank were still living in Ratchet's Garage after Drek's defeat, with their new celebrity status. They were doing an interview for Behind the Hero when they were transported to the Bogon Galaxy by Megacorp CEO Abercrombie Fizzwidget. They then set out on an adventure to save Bogon from the Protopet infestation.
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
At the beginning of the game, Veldin was attacked by Tyhrranoid forces, hired by Dr. Nefarious who called for the planet's destruction. Ratchet and Clank saw what was happening on Veldin in a news report during their stay in the Bogon Galaxy. They flew back to the Solana Galaxy and arrived to assist the Galactic Rangers in defeating the Tyhrranoids. They arrived at Kyzil Plateau once again, and they proceeded to eradicate the Tyhrranoid invaders. The pair then boarded a dropship and arrived at F-Sector, where they defeated the Tyhrranoid commanders. After being consulted on the situation by the Galactic President, they left for Florana to carry out further orders.
Near the end of the game, when Ratchet saved the Starship Phoenix from an attack launched by Dr. Nefarious, he learned that Nefarious intended to use his Biobliterator to turn Veldin's population into robots. Angered at this news, Ratchet took on Dr. Nefarious and was eventually successful in destroying both Biobliterators on Koros and Mylon. Veldin was unharmed during these final battles. Presumably, the damage inflicted in the earlier battle had been repaired.
Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
In Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, Qwark mentioned Veldin while narrating for the Imperial Fight Festival. During the challenge "Light A Match Mustachio!", Qwark commented on the Lombax snooze mist and said, "I haven't experienced gas this deadly... since I took Helga to that all-you-eat Grubsnucker buffet on planet Veldin...".
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Ratchet & Clank comic series
The Kyzil Plateau on Veldin appears in the Ratchet & Clank comic series. After Ratchet refuses President Qwark's request to investigate the disappearance of planets in all three known Galaxies, Veldin is targeted by Artemis Zogg, who orders his henchman Vorn to prepare the planet for stealing. The villains use a massive spaceship and a beam to remove Veldin from the Solana Galaxy, and into Zogg's own galaxy, putting it into an ice age.
At the end of issue four, Ratchet returned to Veldin, and Ratchet saw the planet's newly frozen landscape for the first time. In issue five, Ratchet found Glahm in Veldin's Planetary Defense Center, having plans to fire its missiles and destroy Zogg's ship. Despite Ratchet's protests that Talwyn is on the ship, Glahm ignored him and destroyed the fleet.
In the beginning of issue six, Sasha had come to pick Ratchet up. After she gave him some reassuring words, Ratchet and Sasha went back to the Apogee Space Center and planned for their final attack on Zogg.
Characters on Veldin
Ratchet & Clank
Up Your Arsenal
- One-Eyed Tyhrranoids
- Two-Eyed Tyhrranoids
- Tyhrranoid Attack Ships
- Ultra Mecha-Tyhrranoids
- Horny Toads: A small toad like predators found throughout Veldin, they attack by biting their prey. A single Wrench strike will take them out. Seen in Ratchet & Clank.
- War Groks: Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time suggests that War Groks are native to Veldin.[source?]
- Veldin Skreeducks: Pterodactyl-like creatures seen flying about the planet.
Barely noticeable, hidden behind some mountains you can see a small tropical island with a waterfall if you shoot a Visibomb into the background, (first time through on first game) making some people believe that it could be somewhat tropical, backed up by the fact that it has two giant oceans.[source?]
- The planet image of Veldin in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal was in fact a picture of Earth with over a half of Europe missing. The most recognizable countries were in Scandinavia.
- In Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, certain skies resemble Veldin's.
- This is the first planet in the series to be both the first and last level, but only in Ratchet & Clank.
- In Up Your Arsenal, early in development, it instead used the music from the Starship Phoenix invasion.[source?]
- In Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, when listening to Space Radio in the Corvus Sector, a trailer will play for the holo film: A Boy and His War Grok. At the beginning of the trailer, it is heard that the film was shot on Veldin.
- On the NSTC or NonGreatest Hits or Platinum, the boss battle with Chairman Drek has the same Veldin music. On the PAL version, Drek's mech gets its own theme.
- If you look at the fog where you fall to death, you could see that its change color. First its red, then black.
- In Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, Veldin has green/khaki oceans. That could imply that Bakisi Isles are located on Veldin, as they are also surrounded by an ocean of the same color, and are in the same game.
- The Kyzil Plateau seems to have the structure of the PlanetBuster Maximus ship in villiage limits. You walk through it in Ratchet & Clank, but in Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, none of (except for a destroyed garage that Ratchet lived in, of course) the structures from the first game were there.
- Ratchet & Clank (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
- Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal
- Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters (Dreamtime only)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 1: Ears of War
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 2: Friends with Benefits
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 3: Lost and Spaced
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 4: Thanks for the Armories
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 5: Multiple Organisms
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 6: Bros Before Foes
- Hot Shots Golf Fore! (mentioned only)