|This update is strictly classified. If you are watching this, you're fired.|
According to the Smuggler, Zephyr and Cronk served in The Great War. If IRIS is correct, then both warbots are eons of years old.
Given that he was an elderly robot, Zephyr often recited memories of past battles he and Cronk fought together in; however, their credibility could easily be disputed. One such story was be heard after the battle on Reepor, where Zephyr told Ratchet about the time he fought Undead Zombie Dung Dragons on the Folsteroid Plateau, which were, according to Zephyr, formed by the planet's radioactive sun. The pair had to fight their way out using a rusty spork and a roll of toilet paper they stole on Igliak prior to the battle.
Cronk and Zephyr apparently had a third companion that was destroyed some time before the events of Tools of Destruction.
Tools of Destruction
Zephyr and Cronk were two of the primary characters in Tools of Destruction, acting as allies to Ratchet in combat alongside Talwyn.
A Crack in Time
All 4 One
Into the Nexus
- “ Let us go ya darn space witch! ”
- ―Zephyr's last words [ItN]
Cronk and Zephyr were tasked with the duty alongside the assistance of Ratchet and Clank to awaken from cyrosleep and escort the dangerous criminal Vendra Prog from the Nebulox Seven Prison Ship to the Vartax Detention Center. Talwyn eerily warned Ratchet and Clank to keep their guard encountering Vendra with reference to her cold heart and reputation. As Cronk and Zephyr woke Vendra from cyrosleep, she took the opportunity to use her telepathic abilities to stir the heroes awry. Ratchet and Clank quickly averted disaster and locked Vendra securely to render her powerless, but before the escort could take effect, Neftin Prog, Vendra's brother, picked the time of the escort for a jailbreak.
Before long, Neftin unleashed havoc with the assist of an outlaw mercenary group called Thugs-4-Less, disabling the ships defense with missiles and springing Vendra. Cronk and Zephyr acted defensively against the waves of enemy fire even when warned not to engage without help from Ratchet. They ultimately relinquished attack and surrendered. By the time Ratchet and Clank arrived to back them up, Vendra and Neftin were one step ahead; Cronk and Zephyr were helplessly tied and Vendra utilized her abilities as a witch to trap Ratchet and Clank in an psychic bubble. Neftin rebuttaled Vendra's decision to kill Cronk and Zephyr, insisting it be unnecessary as they are "just a couple of old warbots." Vendra's intimidation ended the negation and Neftin allowed her to activate the pyrocitic blaster mines they scattered across the base of the ship. The rupture from explosions tore a hole through glass and sucked Ratchet and Clank into the vacuum of space. Escape was futile for Cronk and Zephyr and as they embraced death, Ratchet and Clank helplessly bared witness in horror as they entered the atmosphere of space. Cronk and Zephyr were burned to ashes from the explosion. Ratchet and Clank survived; in mourn and regret of not being there to save their friends. They vowed vengeance as they reached sanctuary on the distant planet Yerek - brought there by Thugs-4-Less. Ratchet and Clank contacted Talwyn about the situation, delivering the bad news about Cronk and Zephyr. After hearing about their deaths, Talwyn broke down in sadness, asking Ratchet to return to Meridian City as he and Clank were all she had left now that Cronk and Zephyr were gone, but Ratchet insisted that the he and Clank needed to make things right by bringing the Prog twins to justice.
After Ratchet and Clank defeated the Nethers, Cronk and Zephyr's spirits were shown to have crossed over into the afterlife; their consciousness fueled with youthful exuberance as they banter in the Intergalactic Museum of History. After this, they headed to Igliak's robot graveyard to meet some femdroids.
Cronk and Zephyr were considered Polaris' two greatest Warbots and an exhibit of them was made in the Intergalactic Museum of History in their honor, before their deaths.
Full Frontal Assault
Family and significant relations
Although it is unlikely, He claimed his mother was half Lombax, which also must meant one of his grandparents was a Lombax. (Though, as proven in Up Your Arsenal, it's possible for organic life forms to become robots, and Deadlocked showed that robots could become attracted to organics).
Zephyr had a thruster coil as part of his design. Zephyr's face bore resemblance to the Blargian Robosquawkers' faces.
- “ Chief Admiral Cronk and Lieutenant Commander Zephyr are Talwyn's wily old warbots. Sure they like to snooze, but when things get serious they are two of our greatest allies. ”
- ―Instruction Manual Character Summary [ItN]
| "Let's just stomp around until we squish it!"
This "Trivia" section, or part of it, needs improving and should ideally be integrated into a "Behind the scenes" section and/or the main article, with the trivia section eventually reduced or, ideally, removed entirely.
- Zephyr was an unlockable skin for the player in Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.
- Zephyr is also a level in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage also made by Insomniac Games.
- In All 4 One, Zephyr said he had a Terachnoid friend.
- "Zephyr" was also the codename for the Xbox 360 Elite console upgrade.
- Zephyr is one of the few characters who died on screen, along with Ratchet (although brought back to life later), Luna, Lord Vorselon, Alister Azimuth and Cronk.
- Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (first appearance)
- Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time (heard only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 1: Ears of War (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 2: Friends with Benefits
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 3: Lost and Spaced
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 4: Thanks for the Armories (mentioned only)
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 5: Multiple Organisms
- Ratchet & Clank: Issue 6: Bros Before Foes
- Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
- Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus
- Ratchet & Clank (PS4) (Holocard only)
Notes and references
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apSQH08gTwU
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2N7skhLX4Q
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrYyHQdHHX0/
- ↑ http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/26/ratchet-clank-full-frontal-assault-out-1127-for-19-99/
- ↑ "Traditional Ratchet and Clank Is Back With Into the Nexus" by Colin Moriarty